WHAT IS MIGRAINE
It is a common form of headache where there is episodic,paroxysmal headache usually but not necessarily affecting one side of the head.It may or may not be associated with giddiness,nausea,vomiting or visual impairment.
Pain is usually intense and lasting for half an hour to over a couple of days.
- CAUSES OF MIGRAINE:-
It is a vascular headache that is caused due to vasodilatation and abnormalities in the levels of certain chemicals in the brain.
It also tend to be hereditary in nature.
Triggering factors are;
- Certain foods and Beverages such as alcoholic drinks,chocolates,red wine.
- Skipping meals,lack of sleep,changes in sleeping pattern
- Strong odors,perfumes
- Menstrual periods
- Change in weather
- Excessive fatigue
- Bright light
- SYMPTOMS OF MIGRAINE:-
It often begins in childhood,adolescence or early adulthood.
4 stages are there-
1.Prodrome-One or two days before migraine there may be;
- Food cravings
- Neck stiffness
- Uncontrolable yawning
2.Aura-It occurs before and during headache.These include;
- Visual phenomenon
- Vision loss
- Pins and needle sensation in arms or legs
- Speech or language problem
3.Attack-When untreated it usually lasts from four to 72 hours.Following symptoms;
- Pain on both side or one side of head
- Pain-pulsating or throbbing type
- Sensitivity to lights and sounds
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blurred vision
4.Postdrome-Occurs after a migraine attack.Patient may feel drained and washed out.
- DIAGNOSIS OF MIGRAINE:-
Diagnosis is based on history given by the patient.Certain investigations are:
- CT scan-This helps doctor to diagnose tumors,infections,brain damage etc.
- MRI-To produce detailed images of brain and blood vessels.
- Spinal tap (lumbar puncture)- In this ,a thin needle is inserted between two vertebrae in the lower back to extract a sample of cerebrospinal fluid for laboratory analysis.
- Magnetic resonance angiography
- TREATMENT OF MIGRAINE:-
Pain-relieving medicines-NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen,Acitaminophen,Triptans etc.,anti nauseatic medicines,opioid medications.
Preventive medications-Cardiovascular drugs (beta blockers),antidepressant(serotonin,norepinephrine), antiseizure drugs.
Homoeopathy believes that migraine is a personality disorder and hence the treatment should be determined according to personality of patient.
With continued treatment patient notices the reduction in the frequency of attacks and intensity of pains.