WHAT IS ACIDITY
It refers to a set of symptoms caused by an imbalance between acid secreting mechanism of stomach and proximal intestine .
The stomach normally secretes acid that is essential in the digestive process.When there is excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach,it results in acidity.
- CAUSES OF ACIDITY:-
- Indiscriminate eating of oily food,food with more salt and spices.
- Food or drinks containing lot of acids or sour foods increase the secretion of hydrochloric acid .
- Tension,worries and pressure on mind creates more acid in the stomach.
- Frequent drinking of coffee,habit of alcohol,smoking and drugs help to roduce more acid.
- Lack of sufficient physical activities,sleep immediately after food.
- Taking frequent allopathic medicines like aspirin.
- SYMPTOMS OF ACIDITY:-
-Regurgitation of gastric contents
- DIAGNOSIS OF ACIDITY:-
-Clinical symptoms and history –any present and past drug use such as NSAIDs,a history of family members with ulcers,alcohol consumption and smoking.
-Stress assessment is also useful.
-Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy is done to detect ulcers.
-Barium meal studies also useful.
- TREATMENT OF ACIDITY:-
-Antacids provide immediate relief of symptoms by neutralizing the excess acid secreted.
-A group of drugs called H2 receptor blockers cause stomach to produce less acid.(drugs like Cimetidine,Ranitidine etc.)
-Proton pump inhibitors (Omeprazole,Lansoprazole)which disable a mechanism of acid making cells.
-A suitable diet must be strictly followed avoiding spicy,salty,acidic food.
- Homeopathic Treatment-
Regulate the normal secretion of Hydrochloric acid from the gastric gland thus maintain a normal acid level in stomach.
Stress is also a cause of acidity .During case taking we also cover that point so it also helps in treating the acidity.
Homeopathic Medicines for GERD are
Meet our specialist and get started with our speciality Homeopathy treatment for GERD.