WHAT IS ACIDITY
It refers to a set of symptoms caused by an imbalance between acid secreting mechanism of stomach and proximal intestine .
The stomach normally secretes acid that is essential in the digestive process.When there is excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach,it results in acidity.
- CAUSES OF ACIDITY:-
- Indiscriminate eating of oily food,food with more salt and spices.
- Food or drinks containing lot of acids or sour foods increase the secretion of hydrochloric acid .
- Tension,worries and pressure on mind creates more acid in the stomach.
- Frequent drinking of coffee,habit of alcohol,smoking and drugs help to roduce more acid.
- Lack of sufficient physical activities,sleep immediately after food.
- Taking frequent allopathic medicines like aspirin.
- SYMPTOMS OF ACIDITY:-
-Regurgitation of gastric contents
- DIAGNOSIS OF ACIDITY:-
-Clinical symptoms and history –any present and past drug use such as NSAIDs,a history of family members with ulcers,alcohol consumption and smoking.
-Stress assessment is also useful.
-Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy is done to detect ulcers.
-Barium meal studies also useful.
- TREATMENT OF ACIDITY:-
-Antacids provide immediate relief of symptoms by neutralizing the excess acid secreted.
-A group of drugs called H2 receptor blockers cause stomach to produce less acid.(drugs like Cimetidine,Ranitidine etc.)
-Proton pump inhibitors (Omeprazole,Lansoprazole)which disable a mechanism of acid making cells.
-A suitable diet must be strictly followed avoiding spicy,salty,acidic food.
- Homeopathic Treatment-
Regulate the normal secretion of Hydrochloric acid from the gastric gland thus maintain a normal acid level in stomach.
Stress is also a cause of acidity .During case taking we also cover that point so it also helps in treating the acidity.
- Homeopathic Medicines-